Hello everyone! Today is the fourth instalment of my six part blog series, with each update discussing a different place I’ve travelled to! Where was I for a week in November 2012? Orlando, Florida!
A week before Grade 12 midterms my father, brother and I boarded a plane at the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (unfortunately my mother is a teacher and couldn’t get the time off work), and flew down to Orlando Florida for seven days. I have to say, studying for midterms under the shade of a palm tree is much more enjoyable than shivering & studying in your cold house, trying to keep warm during the dropping November temperatures!
Why Orlando, Florida?
- My dad goes on a lot of business trips. Hawaii, San Francisco, Banff, Chicago… You name it. If it’s in North America, he’s probably been there. Lucky for him, right? Lucky for my brother and I, my dad trusts us enough to come along on his business trips once a year and entertain ourselves while he’s in conferences during the day, then we all go out as a family in the evenings! Florida was one of these business trips. With the hotel and food already covered, why would we not join along for the adventure?
- Ever since I was a child, I had always wanted to experience “The most magical place on Earth!”… Disney World. As our hotel was on Disney property, this was the perfect opportunity to fulfill this goal, and enjoy the beautiful weather Florida has to offer.
What did we do for the week?
- Enjoy the sun. Not many Winnipeggers can say they’ve gotten a sun tan in the middle of November! While my dad was in conferences, Brendon and I hung around the pool, explored the resort, and simply enjoyed our week in the sun!
- Go to theme parks. Florida is known as a tourist hotspot, since it is home to one of the most popular attractions in the world! Walt Disney World Resort, which is comprised of four theme parks, two water parks, a Disney-dedicated downtown shopping area and twenty-one hotels, is forty square miles, or the size of San Francisco. You heard me, a destination created for tourists is the size of one of the most densely populated cities in the United States! As if Disney World isn’t exciting enough, Universal Studios is just around the corner. This is where you can experience rides and attractions based on movies/shows that were produced by Universal Studios, including The Hulk, Despicable Me, The Simpsons, and Harry Potter!
What was my favourite experience in Florida?
- Attending the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, and the Animal Kingdom in Disney World! One of my deepest, darkest secrets is the fact that I’m a crazed Harry Potter fan… Re-reading the books? Midnight movie screenings? Dressing up as a witch at the theatre? Collecting memorabilia? Yup, that’s me. The following day we headed to Disney World’s Animal Kingdom. After one eight hour day, we still hadn’t seen everything in the park! As I love thrilling rides, my favourite one at Disney World was Expedition Everest. It was a wooden roller coaster that took you through a Yeti’s cavernous lair… You traveled up a mountain to the edge of a cliff. Seeing the jagged, broken tracks at the end I though we were all going to fly off the coaster until it screeched to a halt, and went through the whole ride backwards! Other than that amazing ride, I enjoye going on an animal safari where I saw elephants, rhinos,zebras, lions and giraffes (My long lost relative) roam throughout their natural habitat that had been created for them! To end off an amazing day, a fireworks show erupted behind the glittering Disney castle at Magic Kingdom around 11pm. It was truly one of the most spectacular sights I’ve ever seen.
So, Orlando, Florida is where I was for a week in November 2012! If you’re a thrill seeker, exploring all the amazing rides and excursions these parks have to offer is definitely something you have to do! Another option would be to apply for the Disney International College Program, like my friend Erica did this summer… This program provides students pursuing a post-secondary education the opportunity to spend their summer holidays in Florida, working at a Disney World resort! She seems to be having the time of her life… But I mean living in Florida for the summer? Who wouldn’t like that!
Until next time,